AMIT is member of the Coalition of the Community Based Heritage Language Schools where we can share practices with other members in the USA. The Coalition is supported by the Center for Applied Linguistics, CAL, and the conference is held on the American University Campus in DC. If you are a bi-lnigual educator or interested parent you are welcome to join the conference.
10th Annual Community-Based Heritage Language Schools Conference
October 13-14, 2023
The conference will be hybrid, held both on site at American University and online.
This conference aims to:
- Build partnerships among and across community-based heritage language schools and determine arenas for future action
- Help schools create, strengthen, and build their school structures and activities
- Make clear the importance of community-based heritage language schools in the language learning landscape and in the lives of language communities in the United States
- Develop information about community-based heritage language schools through a national survey of schools
- Share and make available resources that will be helpful to schools
Explore the conference website, see the full conference schedule, learn about our plenary speakers, and register here! The registration fee for on-site participation covers refreshments, lunch, and a reception. In addition, on-site participants can get together for a meet and greet at a local restaurant on Friday evening. See the AU webpage for a list of hotels with discounted rates.
- Shuhan Wang, Ph.D.
Telling the Stories of Community-Based Language Schools in the United States
- Felix Kronenberg, Ph.D.
Supporting Sustainable Less Commonly Taught Community-Based Language Programs
- Kristin Davin, Ph.D.
Motivating Students to Continue Language Development With the Seal of Biliteracy
Please share the conference Facebook event widely and invite your colleagues!